Friday, December 12, 2008

Big Moon December 12!

Tonight (December 12th) the moon will look much larger and brighter than usual. That's because of a combination of two things:

a. The moon is at Perigee (i.e. closest to the Earth in its orbit around us)
b. Full moon phase

It's somewhat rare that this occurs at the same time. The last time the moon was anywhere near this close to Earth (relatively speaking) was in 1993.

I should have really taken an image at moonrise, when it appeared absolutely massive as it sat just above the horizon. But I was out with the kids and couldn't, so took an image when it was much higher in the sky.

So, below is the photo I took of it with my Nikon D40 DSLR and William Optics 66mm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great image Phil. I was clouded out so never even saw it.