Saturday, September 30, 2006

Another Decent Moon Shot

I took this shot tonight, again through the XT6 Classic. More of a semi-moon phase than the last photo.

Full scale image is here.

As I was taking some shots tonight, some neighbors popped over to say hello after they pulled into their driveway. They'd always seen me outside with either of my two scopes, and finally plucked the courage to come over. I invited them to look through the scope at the moon and they were stunned. They were really taken back by the detail they could see on the surface, and had no clue you could see things like that. I guess that's another reason why I like the Dobsonian design. You can easily prop it up on the sidewalk and have passers-by stop and take a quick look. I love hearing the "oohs" and "ahhs" as new folks look through the scope. It's a neat way of popularizing the hobby I guess, and I think it's why the Dobsonian design was invented in the first place, as an enabler of "sidewalk astronomy".

No comments: