Friday, August 12, 2016

2016 Perseids

Another bad summer for astronomy for me. Very little opportunity to go out due to weather, work, family or [insert other excuse here]. One of the main reasons has been that my regular local observing spot had been taken over with light pollution. However, I have located another decent spot, and hope to get shooting again.

Last night I checked out the Perseids. Firstly, this was done with the family late at night, when the moon was up and high-level clouds were present. Saw a few fireballs, but nothing brilliant. I went back out to the countryside this morning, at around 4am. Completely different story - the sky was raining meteors! A very nice display indeed, with about 30 an hour, easily.

Below are a few captures from my early morning excursion. The images were taken with a Nikon D7000 and Rokinon 8mm. ISO 2400, 25 second exposures.





No comments: