Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Getting back into it, new binoculars and a view of Comet Lovejoy

Well, hello there!

It's been a LONG time since I have posted here. Life, work and bad weather made for a rubbish astronomy year for me last year. Plus, guiding issues persisted which added to the misery. I'm working on replacing my autoguiding setup, and should be ready for some more long exposure astrophotography by February.

I did score some nice new binoculars for Christmas this year. Celestron 15*70s, which offer great views but require a tripod for extended use. They offer some great vews of the Orion Nebula, and the Double Cluster looks pretty good through them as well.



In the meantime, enjoy this 10*30 second exposure of Comet Lovejoy, shot at ISO2000 with my Nikon D7000.


2 comments:

Valerie said...

I'm so glad that you were able to see Comet Lovejoy when it passed through. Wasn't it just beautiful? One of the prettiest ones I've seen yet. Hope you're enjoying your binoculars.

Phil said...

Hi Val!

Good to hear from you and hope you're keeping well. Need to catch up on your imaging!

The comet was great. Very nice to see. Hope to have a new autoguiding setup in a few weeks and be back onto the imaging stuff again. Watch the clouds roll in now...

Cheers,
phil