Monday, April 23, 2012

Lyrids

I took the kids out for a meteor shower watch this past Saturday night, April 23rd, to watch the Lyrid shower. It was very quiet. In the three hours that we were out there (two of which my kids were soundly asleep wrapped in blankets under the stars), I saw a total of two meteors. Not too brilliant. One was particularly bright, and is featured in the photo below. It's an ordinary photo, shot using my Sigma 10-20mm HSM lens set to 11mm to capture a big swatch of sky. ISO800, F4, 30 second exposure.



This photo was actually used by the Los Angeles Times in their Lyrid meteor shower write-up, so I'm pretty chuffed with that! Article here.

The full result of my two hours of star trails is below. Can you find both meteors in it????

3 comments:

Nerdislav said...

Oh, that's a nice picture. Well, both are nice! I like the plane/satellite trails in the second one very much. You're lucky you managed to see at least something, the weather here was awful, so many clouds... Ngh.

RoryG said...

Congrats on the write-up! I'm glad you saw SOMETHING. Great pics!

Phil said...

Thanks, guys! If I'd had stayed out longer maybe I'd have seen more. Oh well.