Saturday, March 24, 2012
M101 "Pinwheel" Galaxy
This is my first attempt at M101. This galaxy is approximately 2 million light years away and is part of the "M101 Group" of galaxies.
It's okay, I should have taken more exposures. This would also be better imaged through a scope larger than 80mm. Looks like I captured lots of other fuzzballs here so I'll submit it to Astrometry and see what they are!
- Imaging Scope: Astrotelescopes 80mm ED Refractor
- Imaging Camera: Nikon D7000
- Guiding Scope: William Optics 66mm Petzval Refractor
- Guiding Camera: Meade DSI-C
- Mount: Celestron CGEM
- Exposures: 7 * 12 minute lights, 6 * 12 minute darks
- ISO 800
- Aligned and Stacked in Deep Sky Stacker
- Post-Processing in GIMP (contrast, saturation and unsharp mask)
- Noise Reduction in NeatImage