Saturday, November 06, 2010

M45 - Pleiades

Okay, so I have never really shot this cluster before. I'm quite happy with the result! The reflection nebula is clearly evident, and the stars within it are nicely focused. I could have done with a flat frame but will get one next time. As I said in my earlier post, the D7000 lets me focus very tightly now, and I think I can see the difference in the way that the detailed nebulosity has come out here.

Image Details:

  • Imaging Scope: Astrotelescopes 80mm ED Refractor
  • Imaging Camera: Nikon D7000
  • Guiding Scope: William Optics 66mm Petzval Refractor
  • Guiding Camera: Meade DSI-C
  • Mount: Celestron CGEM
  • Exposures: 12 * 3 minute lights, 5 * 3 minute darks
  • ISO 800
  • Aligned and Stacked in Deep Sky Stacker
  • Post-Processing in GIMP (contrast, saturation and unsharp mask)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, nice picture. And to think I was complaining to the girls that we couldn't see the moon last night.

Polaris B said...

Now you are cooking with grease, as my father would have said. Very nice M45! Wish I'd taken it! Congrats!

Phil said...

Thanks, all! Wondering what 5 minute light frames will do for this now...

RoryG said...

Great detail on the nebulosity, Phil! I can really see what a difference that little ED scope makes versus my achromat!

Jo said...

Very beautiful picture! Would look lovely in a frame!

Phil said...

Thanks a lot, all! Very chuffed with this.

Mike Farid said...

very sharp one,,,nice work man...

Phil said...

Thanks a lot, Mike! I will be sure to check out your blogs. Hoping to come to your beautiful country one day!

Sidewalk Universe said...

Nice pic Phil!!!!!

ananthnag said...

I really got some interest now, to take some like urs...