Sunday, November 02, 2008

M42 - First Attempt

Below is the second image that I took last night. To be honest, it may be one of my best astrophotos ever - I am quite chuffed with it!

Obviously, it's the Great Orion Nebula, M42. It is my first attempt at capturing this wonderful object. I took this as it sat at about 30-35 degrees high in the sky, which isn't exactly optimal. Still, it came out with nice color and detail.

Image Specs:
  • Nikon D40 DSLR
  • Meade LX200 F6.3 on Milburn Wedge
  • 20*30 second exposures (10 mins)
  • 6*2 second flat frames
  • 3*20 second dark frames
  • ISO800
  • Stacked in DSS
  • Mild sharpening in Photoshop
  • Noise reduction in Neat Image
Initial processed image below without color modification:





















Image with modified CYAN color adjustment to reveal more red nebulosity:




















Image in Black and White (sort of interesting!):

No comments: