Monday, August 18, 2008

A Meaty Looking Meade!!!

Well, the Milburn wedge arrived today! Naturally, I put it all together to check out the quality and stability of the system. I am impressed! It took about 15 minutes to set it up, screwing the mount to the tripod, then the scope to the mount. It used hex/alan key bolts which are fine, but I fear they will be a bit of a pain to loosen during take-down time, when it's cold and dark and the last thing you want to do is mess with these types of bolts. I may replace them with thumbscrews later on for easier assembly and take-down. The adjustments for the altitude and azimuth movement are super smooth. This is a really impressive feature of the mount and is the main reason as to why Milburn wedges are so highly regarded. You can make very careful adjustments, and there was no sign of backlash at all. Perfect! This alone puts the Milburn mount light years ahead of its Meade counterparts. The wedge also came with the optional keypad holder. It's just a simple metal tray that bolts onto the side of the wedge, but it's really nice to finally have a place to put the keypad when not in use.

Naturally, the clouds have rolled in so I'll have to sit tight before I can get it out there and try it out. However, I'm excited to have it and can't wait to take pictures using longer than 20 second exposures!!!!

More pictures below.

No comments: