Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Nice way to start the day

I woke up at about 5:45 this morning. It was clear, cool morning so I grabbed the Dob and went out front. The constellation of Orion hung high towards the south, and a white cresent moon sat low in the East, with Regulus (part of Leo) and Saturn just above it. I only gave the scope about five minutes to cool down, which wasn't really enough but I was a bit rushed for time (the kids would be up and demanding their breakfast any time now). The Orion Nebula looked great, with its great wispy clouds sweeping across my field of view. This is one object I could just never get bored with. Saturn was nice too. The rings had tilted rather dramatically since the last time I saw it, about five or six months ago. I could count about three moons around it. These are the only two objects I spent time on this morning, but it was really nice to see them again after they had not been in the sky for a while, sort of like old friends really! Anyway, a fun way to begin my day.

No comments: