Friday, September 01, 2006

Picture of the Moon through a 6" Dob

As indicated in my previous post, I took a photo of the semi-phase moon tonight through my new 6" dobsonian scope. I used a basic Fuji Finepix 3.5 megapixel digital camera. No attachments, no motors on the scope.

Process was easy. I simply focused the moon in my eyepiece (21mm Orion Stratus). Then I positioned the scope so that the moon would pass through the field of view without me having to track with my hands. Then I placed the camera against the eyepiece and wiggled it around until I could get the entire moon image in the camera viewfinder. Then simply carefully and lightly pressed the shutter button. Voila! Click on the image to see the full thing...

Image is touched up a little bit in photoshop (adjust light curves, sharpen twice).

Who says you can't do astrophotography with a dob???

No comments: